Exotic Mushroom Soup
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound assorted fresh mushrooms (shitake, portobello, crimini), sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Dash hot pepper sauce
1. In large saucepan or Dutch oven cook mushrooms, onion and garlic in butter or margarine until vegetables are lightly browned. Stir in flour.
2. Stir in broth. Cook and stir until boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. In blender container process mushroom mixture, half at a time, until smooth. Return all to saucepan. Stir in cream, thyme and pepper sauce. Cook and stir until heated through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish as desired. Serve with crackers.