Everything Goes Pilaf Recipe
This savory rice-and-vegetable pilaf is simple and delicious − a great accompaniment to roast or grilled chicken. It's generously flavored with sage and basil and punctuated with water chestnuts for just the right amount of crunch. You can whip it up in a jiffy, using either brown or white rice, for a refreshing break from potatoes or pasta. Add a green salad on the side and you're done!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 cup uncooked, long grain, brown or white rice
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 jar (2 1/2 oz, 1/2 cup) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/4 teaspoon ground sage
- 1/2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
1. Cook rice according to package directions, adding bouillon cube and
omitting the salt and the butter called for in package directions.
2. While rice is cooking, melt margarine in large fry pan. Stir in onion,
celery, mushrooms and water chestnuts. Cook over medium heat,
stirring occasionally until celery is almost tender.
3. Gently stir in cooked rice, KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, sage, basil,
pepper and water. Cover and cook over very low heat about 15 minutes.