Eggo® Waffle Bowl Beef and Bean Chili
Cooking the chili powder for a few minutes along with the tomato paste and sautéed vegetables gives this chili a rich, deep flavor. Serve it in easy-to-make waffle bowls for hearty snacks at your next party. Recipe inspired by Guy’s Grocery Games.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 green onions, sliced with white and green portions separated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tablesppons chili powder
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes
Homestyle waffles Buy Now Kellogg® Eggo®
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
1. In nonstick Dutch oven heat oil over medium-high heat. Add white portions of green onions and garlic. Cook about 1 minute or until soft, stirring frequently. Stir in bell pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 3 minutes more or until tender.
2. Stir tomato paste and chili powder into vegetable mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes more or until brick red color. Add ground beef, salt (if desired) and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally to break up meat, until browned.
3. Carefully add broth, beans and undrained tomatoes to beef mixture. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until desired consistency.
4. Meanwhile, place muffin pan upside down on baking sheet. Roll KELLOGG’S EGGO Homestyle waffles, one at a time, between two pieces of wax paper to 5- to 5 1/2-inch diameter circles. Drape flattened waffles on muffin cup bottoms. Bake at 400° F for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp. Remove muffin pan from baking sheet. Carefully remove waffles from bottom of muffin pan cups. Turn over. Place, right side up, on warm baking sheet. Bake at 400° F about 3 minute more or until golden and crisp. Remove waffles from pan. Place on wire rack to cool.
5. Place each waffle “bowl” in shallow soup bowl. Ladle chili into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining green portions of green onions, cheese (if desired) and dollop with sour cream (if desired).