Easy Vegetable Cassoulet Recipe
This quick version of classic French cassoulet harmonizes the flavors of MorningStar Farms® Veggie Sausage Links, onion, garlic, carrots, bell pepper, Great Northern beans, tomatoes and herbs.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- 1 small green or red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 cans (15 1/2 oz. each) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained*
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) Italian-style stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup shaved or finely shredded fresh Parmesan cheese (optional)
2. Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet cook onion and garlic in oil until tender. Stir in carrots and bell pepper. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in beans, undrained tomatoes, broth, parsley, thyme and ground pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Stir in sausage link pieces. Heat through.
3. Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.
*NOTE: Lower sodium by substituting dried beans for the canned beans. In large saucepan combine 6 cups water and 1 1/2 cups dry Great Northern beans. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, for 1 hour. Drain. Rinse. Return beans to saucepan. Add 6 cups fresh water. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Drain. Use as directed above in recipe.