Easy Mac and Cheese with Crispy Cheez-It® Topping
Toasted Cheez-It Original® Crackers lightly coated with Parmesan cheese make a crispy topping to this easy, creamy macaroni and cheese.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 3/4 cups
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 3/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) shredded American cheese
1. In large nonstick skillet melt 1 tablespoon of the butter. Stir in SUNSHINE CHEEZ-IT Original crackers and Parmesan cheese. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 4 to 6 minutes or until crisp and slightly browned. Remove from heat. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain. Set aside.
3. In medium saucepan melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Stir in flour, mustard, salt and pepper. Add milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until boiling and slightly thickened. Add cheddar cheese and American cheese, stirring until melted. Fold in macaroni.
4. Spoon into serving dishes. Sprinkle cracker mixture on top.