Dried Fruit Compote with Cheddar Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 4 hour 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup dried peaches or nectarines, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 cup dried pears, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, cut into 1/4-inch-wide strips
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 piece (1-inch) stick cinnamon
- 1 strip lemon peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons anise liqueur (sambuca)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
1. In medium bowl combine dried peaches, pears, apricots, raisins and cheeries. In small saucepan combine water, sugar, cloves, cinnamon and lemon peel. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Bring to boiling. Pour over fruit. Let stand for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
2. Remove and discard cloves, cinnamon and lemon peel. Stir in lemon juice and anise liqueur. Ladle into serving bowls. Serve with cheese and crackers.
*Note: Serve at the end of a meal for a surprising twist on the cheese course and dessert.