Deluxe Date Coffee Cake
Looking for a delightful dessert to serve at this week's book club? This cinnamon-scented coffeecake is sure to be a bestseller! Filled with a ribbon of brown sugar, dates and nuts, this luscious cake is equally wonderful served warm or at room temperature.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
- 1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup finely cut dates
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
1. In small bowl, combine brown sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, cinnamon, margarine,
nuts and dates. Mix well. Set aside for topping.
2. Stir together the 1 1/4 cups flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in KELLOGG'S
ALL-BRAN cereal. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat together shortening and granulated sugar until light
and fluffy. Add egg, vanilla and milk. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until
4. Spread half of batter in 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Reserving
1/2 cup for top, crumble date mixture evenly over batter. Carefully spread the
remaining batter over date mixture. Sprinkle reserved date mixture evenly over top.
5. Bake at 350° F about 45 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center
comes out clean. Cool slightly and cut in squares. Serve warm or cold.