Date-Pear Compote on Goat Cheese Wedges
Juicy pear, sweet dates, toasted walnuts, fresh rosemary and tangy goat cheese combine on top of toasty waffles, changing them from breakfast fare into an elegant appetizer.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 1/2 ounces goat cheese
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted and chopped, or 9 regular dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh pear
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- Dash salt
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts, toasted
1. Let goat cheese stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl toss together dates, pear and orange juice. Set aside.
3. Heat oil in small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in onion. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, covered about 1 minute or until onion begins to sweat. Stir in rosemary, pepper and salt. Cook, uncovered, for 4 to 5 minutes or until onion just begins to brown, stirring frequently. Stir in date mixture. Cook and stir until liquid evaporates. Stir in walnuts.
4. Prepare KELLOGG’S EGGO®
NUTRI GRAIN® Low Fat Whole Wheat waffles according to package directions until waffles are golden brown. Spread goat cheese on waffles. Spoon date mixture on top. Cut each waffle into 4 wedges. Arrange on serving plate. Serve warm.