Currant Swirl Bread
This yummy yeast bread will have your head in a swirl − a tasty swirl of cinnamon and currants, that is! This bread is lovely toasted for a morning treat, or as a spicy, sweet addition to the breadbasket on your holiday table.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 5 hour 20 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon skim milk
- 3 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar or granulated sugar
1. Stir together flours. In large electric mixer bowl, combine 1/2 cup of the flour
mixture, KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, salt, yeast and the 2 tablespoons brown
2. In small saucepan, heat the 1 cup of milk and margarine until very warm
(120° to 130°F). Add to cereal mixture and beat 2 minutes on medium
speed, scraping bowl occasionally. Add egg whites and 1/4 cup of the flour mixture.
Beat 2 minutes on high speed.
3. Replace regular beaters with dough hooks on electric mixer or by hand, stir in
remaining flour mixture. Knead on low speed or by hand for 5 minutes or until dough
is smooth and elastic.
4. Place dough in bowl coated with cooking spray. Spray dough surface. Cover and
let rise in warm place until double in volume. Punch down dough and let rest
5. Roll dough on lightly floured surface into 14x 8 1/2-inch rectangle. Wet surface
with 1 tablespoon water. Combine remaining brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle
over wet dough. Spread currants evenly over sugar mixture. Starting with shorter side,
roll dough lengthwise. Place seam side down in 8 1/2x 4 1/2x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan
coated with cooking spray. Let rise until double in volume, about 1 hour.
6. Lightly brush top of bread with 1 tablespoon milk. Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
With sharp knife, make 1/8-inch deep cut lengthwise down center of loaf.
7. Bake at 375° F about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan and cool
on wire rack.