Crunchy Topped Pumpkin Custard
Cooking this creamy, luscious custard in a slow cooker eliminates the problem of overcooking.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 5 hour 10 minutes
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated fat free milk
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal Buy Now
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
1. In large bowl combine eggs, pumpkin, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of the cinnamon, orange peel, vanilla and allspice. Gradually stir in milk. Pour into 1-quart souffle dish. Cover tightly with foil.
2. Tear off two 15 x 6-inch pieces of heavy duty foil. Lengthwise fold each piece into thirds, making two 15 x 2-inch strips. Crisscross strips in centers at 90° angle. Place souffle dish on foil strips. Bring ends of foil strips up and use to place souffle dish in 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, leaving foil strips under souffle dish. Pour hot water into crockery cooker around outside of souffle dish to depth of 1 1/2 inches. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 5 hours or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl place KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES cereal. Drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Toss to coat. Place on foil-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 300°F about 8 minutes or until crisp. Cool completely.*
4. Use foil strips to lift souffle dish out of crockery cooker. Let stand 20 minutes. Serve custard warm topped wiht cereal mixture.
*NOTE: Cooled cereal mixture may be stored in airtight container for up to 1 week.