Crunchy Breakfast Casserole
Kellogg’s® Crispix® cereal adds a crunchy topping to traditional egg and cheese casseroles
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 40 minutes
- 5 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 cups cubed, dry French bread or cubed, dry bread (3 oz. total)
- 2 cups Kellogg's® Crispix® cereal Buy Now
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 5 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard or spicy brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
1. Place spinach in colander. Use back of spoon to firmly press spinach, removing excess moisture.
2. In six 10-ounce casseroles or one 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish layer half of the bread cubes. Sprinkle with 1 cup of the cereal, spinach and cheese. Top with remaining bread cubes.
3. In medium bowl whisk together eggs, milk, mustard, basil and salt. Pour over bread mixture in casseroles. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
4. Toss remaining 1 cup cereal with butter, crushing cereal slightly. Sprinkle cereal mixture atop egg mixture. Bake at 350° F, uncovered, until puffed and knife inserted in center comes out clean. (Allow 25 to 30 minutes for 10-ounce casseroles or 45 to 55 minutes for 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking dish.) Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.