Crispy Stuffed Summer Squash
This summer side dish makes the most of the season's bountiful squash crop.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup Keebler® Zesta® Original crackers Buy Now
- 3 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Lengthwise halve zucchini or squash. Use spoon to scoop out centers, leaving 1/4-inch shell. In medium bowl stir together egg, crackers, bacon, carrot, margarine or butter, onion, celery seeds, sage and pepper. Spoon into zucchini or squash. Place in shallow baking dish. Cover with foil.
2. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Remove foil. Bake at 350°F about 20 minutes more or until zucchini is tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese melts.