Crispy Goat Cheese Medallions with Spicy Tomato Relish
Creamy medallions of goat cheese, coated with toasty All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal and topped with tomato-basil relish, make an elegant appetizer. Make and serve them today, or prepare them today and follow our make-ahead instructions for future dining occasions..
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 log (12 oz.) goat cheese
- 3 1/4 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal Buy Now
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon fat free milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Dash salt
- 2 teaspoons hot chile sauce (optional)
1. Place goat cheese in freezer for 15 to 30 minutes or until partially frozen.
2. Meanwhile, on piece of wax paper combine KELLOGG’S ALL-BRAN COMPLETE Wheat Flakes cereal, parsley flakes, garlic powder and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. On another piece of wax paper place whole wheat flour. In shallow dish lightly beat together eggs and milk.
3. Remove cheese from freezer. Cut into 12 slices. Place one slice between two pieces of wax paper. Use heel of hand to gently press slice into 1/4-inch-thick circle. Remove wax paper. Dip cheese medallion into flour, shaking off excess. Completely coat with egg mixture. Dip into cereal mixture, pressing crumbs into cheese. Place on baking sheet lined with wax paper. Repeat with remaining cheese circles. Return to freezer for 30 minutes.
4. For relish, in large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cook onion and garlic in hot oil about 4 minutes or until tender. Add undrained tomatoes, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and salt. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 4 to 8 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Stir in chile sauce (if desired).
5. In 12-inch nonstick skillet heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil over medium heat. Add cheese medallions to skillet. Cook for 2 to 6 minutes or until cheese is soft and outsides of medallions are lightly browned, turning once. Drizzle remaining oil into skillet during cooking, if needed.
6. Serve medallions with relish on top or on the side.
Before serving, remove cheese medallions from freezer. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Cook as directed above in step 5.
Place relish in microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through, stirring once or twice during cooking. Serve medallions with relish as directed above in step 6.