Cornbread with Bacon
There's nothing better than cornbread – except cornbread with bacon! Serve this sweet-and-savory country-style treat with a lovely bowl of vegetable soup or southern-fried chicken. Or serve it on its own with a little honey and butter. Your family will squeal with delight!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 pound uncooked bacon, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
1. Fry bacon in fry pan over medium heat until cooked and slightly crisp, stirring
constantly. Drain bacon on paper towels. Reserve 2 tablespoons drippings.
2. Stir together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, milk, egg and the
2 tablespoons bacon drippings. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens.
Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Reserving 2 tablespoons of bacon,
gently stir in remaining bacon. Spread evenly in 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan coated
with cooking spray. Sprinkle reserved bacon on top.
4. Bake at 425° F about 18 minutes or until slightly browned. Serve hot.