Corn Chowder with Parmesan Croutons
In this creamy chowder, tender cubes of potato simmer with golden corn, pungent garlic and refreshing chives.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup Kellogg's® Crispix® cereal Buy Now
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (12 oz.) evaporated fat-free milk
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or sliced green onions
1. Place KELLOGG'S CRISPIX cereal in 1-quart, zipper-type plastic bag. Drizzle oil over cereal. Add 1 tablespoon of the Parmesan cheese. Close bag and gently toss until evenly coated. Spread in shallow baking pan. Bake at 350° F for 5 minutes or until browned. Cool completely.
2. In medium saucepan combine broth, potatoes, corn, garlic and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Do not drain.
3. Meanwhile, in small bowl whisk together milk, flour and remaining 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Gradually stir into vegetable mixture. Cook and stir until boiling and slightly thickened. Stir in chives. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with cereal mixture.