Coffee Cake Supreme
Next week, treat the bridge club (or the book club) to this light, elegant coffeecake. The pineapple-flavored cake is filled with a thin layer of nuts, dates and spices. Serve warm for a refreshing afternoon respite.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts
- 1/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 can (8.5 oz., 1 cup) drained, crushed pineapple
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup shortening
1. Mix together brown sugar, the 1 tablespoon flour, cinnamon, the 1/4 cup
margarine, nuts and dates. Set aside for topping.
2. Stir together flour, granulated sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, milk and pineapple.
Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add egg and shortening. Beat well.
Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Spread half of batter in 8 x 8 x 2-inch
baking pan coated with cooking spray. Cover batter with half of date topping. Spread
remaining batter over topping. Sprinkle remaining topping over batter.
4. Bake at 400° F about 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted near center comes
out clean. Serve warm, cut into squares.