Classic Tortilla Soup
With mild heat and an earthy, sweet flavor, this vegetarian tortilla soup recipe is certain to be a crowd pleaser
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 6 white corn tortillas, halved and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 carton (32 oz., 4 cups) reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (4 oz.) chopped green chile peppers
- 1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1 1/2 cups
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (2 oz.) (optional)
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled and chopped (optional)
1. Spread tortilla strips on baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Lightly coat strips with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400° F for 5 to 10 minutes or until crisp, stirring after 5 minutes. Set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in Dutch oven or very large saucepan cook onion and garlic in oil over medium-high heat about 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in broth, undrained tomatoes, undrained chile peppers, corn and celery. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Stir in MORNINGSTAR FARMS Meal Starters Grillers Recipe Crumbles. Return to a boil.
4. Ladle into bowls. Sprinkle with tortilla strips. Top with cheese and avocado (if desired).