Chili Con Carne
This lively, low-fuss chili is packed with ground meat and kidney beans. Turn the heat up or down with more or less of the cayenne pepper.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (divided)
- 3 cans (14 1/2 oz. each) diced fire-roasted tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (16 oz. each) red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1. In nonstick Dutch oven cook onion, bell pepper and garlic in oil over medium heat about 5 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Remove vegetables from Dutch oven. Set aside. Add half of the ground beef to the Dutch oven. Cook, stirring occasionally, until browned. Remove from Dutch oven. Repeat with remaining ground beef. Drain off any fat.
2. Return all vegetables and ground beef to Dutch oven. Stir in undrained tomatoes, paprika, oregano, chili powder, brown sugar, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 40 minutes.
3. Stir in kidney beans. Continue cooking over medium heat for 15 minutes more. Ladle into serving bowls. Serve with CHEEZ-IT ORIGINAL crackers.