Shrimp, smoked sausage, chicken thighs, and Cajun seasoning all feature in this mouth-watering, spicy specialty from the bayou. Our version, which is slow-simmered in your crockery cooker, yields an exceptionally tender and flavorful dish.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour 10 minutes
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz.) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal Buy Now
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1/4 pound fully cooked smoked turkey sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/4 cups instant brown rice
- 1/2 pound frozen, cooked, peeled and deveined shrimp, thawed
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1. In 4-to 5-quart crockery cooker, combine undrained tomatoes, broth, cereal, onion, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning and Worcestershire sauce.
2. Trim fat from chicken. Cut into 1-inch pieces. Stir chicken and sausage into tomato mixture.
3. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
4. Stir in rice, shrimp and pepper. Cover and let stand for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Serve with vegetables, such as sugar snap peas, if desired.
*NOTE: The shrimp is added near the end of the cooking time because it will get tough if left in the slow cooker for the entire time.