Chewy Date Squares
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 cup cut pitted dates
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped almonds (optional)
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 6 cups
1. In small saucepan, combine butter, dates, water and 3 tablespoons of the sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until consistency of soft paste. Remove from heat. Stir in almonds. Set aside.
2. Measure corn syrup and the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar into large saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a rolling boil. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla flavoring. Add KELLOGG'S® PRODUCT 19® cereal. Stir until well covered.
3. Press half the mixture evenly and firmly into buttered 9 x9 x 2-inch pan. Spread evenly with date mixture. Spread remaining cereal mixture evenly over date layer, pressing lightly. Cool completely. Cut into squares.