Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
1. In 8 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan, combine pie filling and nutmeg. Spread evenly over bottom of pan; set aside.
2. Stir together flour, salt, and baking powder; set aside.
3. Add butter to hot water, stirring until melted.
4. In medium-size mixing bowl, beat egg until thick and lemon colored. Add butter mixture, sugar, vanilla and cereal. Continue beating until well mixed. Add flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Spread batter evenly over cherries.
5. Bake in 375° F oven about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm with whipped topping, if desired.
Variation: Other fruit pie fillings may also be used.