Cherry Nut Loaf
This lovely loaf, fragrant with nutmeg, maraschino cherries and walnuts and enriched with one and a half cups of All-Bran® cereal, is a beautiful addition to your holiday table. Try a slice on Christmas morning, served with a hot cup of coffee. It's guaranteed to make even Scrooge himself smile.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 40 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal Buy Now
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or shortening
- 1 jar (10 oz.) maraschino cherries, drained and finely chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Stir together flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and the 3/4 cup sugar. Set aside.
2. Measure KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal and milk into large mixing bowl. Stir to
combine. Let stand 2 minutes or until cereal softens
3. Add egg and oi to cereal mixturel. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring only until
combined. Reserve 2 tablespoons chopped cherries for topping. Fold remaining
cherries and the 3/4 cup walnuts into batter. Spread evenly in 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan
coated with cooking spray. Set aside.
4. For topping, measure margarine into small fry pan. Cook over low heat until bubbly.
Remove from heat. Stir in the 1/4 cup sugar, the 1/4 cup walnuts and the reserved
2 tablespoons cherries. Sprinkle over batter.
5. Bake at 350° F about 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted near center comes out
clean. Let cool 10 minutes before removing from pan. Cool completely on wire rack
KELLOGG'S CRACKLIN OAT BRAN Cherry Nut Bread: Reduce sugar from 3/4 cup to
1/2 cup. Substitute 1 1/2 cups KELLOGG'S CRACKLIN' OAT BRAN cereal for the
KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal. In step 2 , let cereal and milk mixture stand about
10 minutes or until cereal softens. Follow steps 3 thru 5 above.