Cheery cherries make a charming dessert! Paired with a tasty dough made from All-Bran® cereal, these fanciful fritters are a pleasing departure from ordinary sweets. Serve with tangy red cherry sauce and a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Yum!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 can (16 oz.) pitted, red tart cherries, drained, reserving liquid
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal Buy Now
- Vegetable oil or shortening (for frying)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1. Reserve 1/4 cup cherries for sauce. Chop remaining cherries. Set aside.
2. Stir together flour, 1/4 cup of the sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat egg slightly. Stir in milk, oil and KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN
cereal. Let stand 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add flour mixture, stirring until
smooth. Stir in chopped cherries.
4. Drop by rounded tablespoon into hot deep oil (375° F). Fry until golden brown,
about 2 1/2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm with Cherry Sauce.
5. To make Cherry Sauce, combine the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and the cornstarch
in small saucepan. Add water to reserved cherry liquid to measure 1 cup liquid. Add
to sugar mixture, stirring until smooth.Cook over medium heat until mixture boils,
stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring 1 minute longer. Remove from heat
and stir in reserved cherries. Serve warm with fritters.
To reheat fritters, place on baking sheet and bake at 200° F for 10 to 15 minutes
or until warm.