It may be called "dowdy," but we think this sweet-tart cherry take on the classic apple pandowdy is gorgeous! We love the deep-red fruit and the lovely biscuit-like topping. We love the individual servings. In fact, we love the whole dessert – and we think you will, too!
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 cups canned, pitted tart red cherries, drained, reserving juice
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal Buy Now
1. In 2-quart saucepan, mix together the 1 cup sugar and cornstarch. Add cherries
and 1/2 cup juice. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
Continue cooking and stirring 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and set aside to
2. Stir together flour, baking powder and salt in small mixing bowl. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat egg until thick and lemon-colored, add hot water
gradually, beating constantly. Continue beating while adding sugar. Fold in vanilla,
KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal and flour mixture.
4. Spoon cherry sauce into 1-cup custard cups. Cover with batter.
5. Bake at 375° about 25 minutes. Serve warm with cream whipped just until foamy
and a dash of nutmeg, if desired.
If sweetend frozen cherries are substituted for canned, decrease sugar to 1/2