Chef John's Creamy Broccoli Soup
Craving veggies? Then reap the healthy goodness of broccoli with a steaming bowl of this creamy soup flavored with onion, celery and stock.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 2 pounds broccoli, cut into 2-inch pieces (about 2 large bunches)
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (optional)
- Keebler® Club® Original crackers Buy Now
1. In large saucepan or Dutch oven cook onion and celery in butter over medium heat until golden and tender. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir in garlic. Cook and stir for 30 seconds more. Stir in flour, salt and red pepper. Cook and stir for 3 minutes.
2. Gradually stir in stock and broccoli. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 14 to 18 minutes or until broccoli is very tender, stirring once or twice. Remove from heat.
3. Place about one-fourth of the broccoli mixture in food processor. Cover and process until smooth. Repeat with remaining broccoli mixture, one-fourth at a time. Return all to saucepan. Stir in the 1/3 cup cream. Cook over low heat until heated through, stirring frequently. Ladle into serving bowls.
4. Whisk the 2 tablespoons cream until frothy and slightly thickened (if desired). Drizzle over soup in bowls, swirling with tip of knife (if desired). Serve with KEEBLER CLUB Original crackers.
Recipe developed by Chef John Mitzewich.