Carrots Au Gratin
A rich, cheesy sauce complements the sweet carrots in this home style casserole.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 5 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's Corn Flakes® cereal Buy Now
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 oz.) shredded, low fat American cheese
- 4 cups sliced carrots, cooked and drained (about 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
1. In 3-quart saucepan, melt margarine over low heat. Remove
2 tablespoons and mix with KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES cereal.
Set aside for topping. Add onion to remaining margarine in pan.
Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is softened but not browned.
2. Stir flour, salt and pepper into onion mixture. Add milk, stirring
until smooth. Increase heat to medium and cook until mixture boils
and thickens, stirring constantly. Add cheese and continue cooking,
stirring 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Stir in carrots and parsley
flakes. Spread mixture into 10 x 6 x 2-inch (1 1/2-qt.) glass baking
dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cereal mixture evenly over
3. Bake at 350° F about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove
from oven. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
1. In small glass mixing bowl, microwave 2 tablespoons of the margarine
on HIGH until melted. Combine with KELLOGG'S CORN FLAKES cereal.
Set aside for topping.
2. Measure the remaining 3 tablespoons margarine and onion into 4-cup
glass measuring cup. Microwave on HIGH 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until onion
is tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk, stirring until smooth.
Microwave on HIGH 5 minutes or until bubbly and thickened, stirring twice
during cooking time. Add cheese, stirrring until melted. Pour into ungreased
12 x 7 1/2 x 2-inch (2 qt.) glass baking dish. Stir in carrots and parsley flakes.
3. Microwave on HIGH 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly.
4. Sprinkle cereal topping evenly over top. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute longer.
Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve hot. Yield: 8 servings
Microwave cooking times may vary, depending on oven wattage.