Carrot and Spice Muffins
A flavorful muffin with carrots, apples and coconut. Yum!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup Kellogg's® Smart Start® Strong Heart Antioxidants cereal Buy Now
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup shredded, peeled apple
- 1/2 cup refrigerated egg substitute*
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. In medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Set aside.
2. In large bowl combine KELLOGG'S SMART START ANTIOXIDANT cereal and milk. Let stand about 2 minutes or until cereal softens. Add carrots, apple, egg substitute, brown sugar, coconut and oil. Beat well. Add flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Portion evenly into twelve 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups coated with cooking spray or lined with foil bake cups.
3. Bake at 375°F about 15 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool in muffin pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm.
*Note: If desired, replace egg substitute with 2 slightly beaten eggs.
TIP Shred apple by pushing a crisp, peeled, baking apple over the large holes on a grater.