Caraway Rye Bran Bread
Caraway and rye are a classic pairing, but orange peel and buttermilk add a new taste twist to this hearty yeast bread. This lovely loaf, sliced thick, is a great base for an egg salad sandwich, layered with juicy slices of fresh, ripe tomato. Save some bread for breakfast, though ? it's equally good toasted, with butter and jam.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 3 hour 10 minutes
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 package dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 to 115°F)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Complete® Wheat Flakes cereal Buy Now
- or 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal Buy Now
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon milk
1. Measure buttermilk. Let stand until it reaches room temperature or warm slightly in microwave.
2. Dissolve yeast in warm water in large mixing bowl. Stir in sugar, salt, orange peel,caraway seed and warm buttermilk. Stir in KELLOGG'S COMPLETE Wheat Bran Flakes cereal and rye flour. Gradually mix in all-purpose flour. If necessary, work in last portion of flour while kneading. Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
3. On lightly floured surface, knead dough about 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Place in large mixing bowl coated with cooking spray. Coat dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in volume (about 1 1/2 hours).
4. Sprinkle small amount of cornmeal on baking sheet or coat with cooking spray.Punch down dough. Shape into smooth round ball, being careful not to make large folds in dough. Place on baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Cut large X across top of loaf with sharp knife. Cover and let rise in warm place until double in volume (about 45 minutes). Brush loaf with milk.
5. Bake at 350° F about 35 minutes or until golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from baking sheet. Cool on wire rack.
Yield: 1 loaf, 16 slices