Caramelized Onion Spread
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried currants or chopped raisins
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted** (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (4oz) crumbled feta cheese, goat cheese or blue cheese
- 1/2 cup (4oz) cream cheese, softened*
- Keebler® Toasteds® Harvest Wheat crackers Buy Now
- Keebler® Toasteds® Buttercrisp crackers Buy Now
1. Heat olive oil in non-stick fry pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and rosemary. Cook, stirring frequently, until soft and golden, about 20 minutes (Reduce heat to low if onion browns too quickly). Stir in currants, vinegar, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool.
2. In medium-size mixing bowl, stir together feta, cream cheese and onion mixture.
3. Place in serving bowl and top with pine nuts. Serve with Keebler Toasteds in any variety.
*NOTE: Soften cream cheese in microwave at high for 15 to 20 seconds.
**NOTE: To toast pine nuts, spread evenly on baking sheet. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown, stirring once or twice.
To Store: cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days