Discover the wonderful flavors of the classic Sicilian, ricotta-filled pastries—cannoli—without frying the shells. Instead, this recipe wraps baked waffles around the sweet, creamy filling.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Kellogg’s® Eggo®Homestyle waffles Buy Now
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate morsels or miniature semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped pistachios nuts or finely chopped pecans
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk ricotta cheese, drained
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup miniature semi-sweet chocolate morsels (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Powdered sugar (optional)
1. Chill small mixing bowl.
2. Meanwhile, microwave waffles, one at a time, at high for 15 to 20 seconds or until pliable. Using rolling pin, flatten waffles into 4 3/4-inch circles. Roll waffles around cannoli forms*. Brush overlapping edges with egg and firmly pinch together to seal. Place on baking sheet. Bake at 350° F about 15 minutes or until crisp. Transfer to cooling rack. Remove cannoli forms. Cool completely.
3. Place 3/4 cup chocolate morsels and oil in small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at high for 15 to 45 seconds or until melted, stirring every 15 seconds. Dip ends of waffle shells in chocolate. Sprinkle chocolate with nuts. Place on wax-paper-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate about 15 minutes or until chocolate is set.
4. Meanwhile, in medium bowl stir together ricotta cheese, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, orange peel and vanilla. Stir in 1/4 cup chocolate morsels and cinnamon (if desired).
5. In chilled bowl beat cream on high speed of electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into cheese mixture. Spoon cheese mixture into decorating bag fitted with large round or open star tip (or spoon into resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Snip off small corner of bag.) Pipe filling into shells. Sprinkle with powdered sugar (if desired). Serve immediately. (Or, cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.)