Bran Fruit Bread
Half way between a quick bread and a fruitcake, this lovely loaf is a delicious addition to your Christmas morning menu. Bananas, pineapple, walnuts, dates and All-Bran® cereal combine to make a moist and hearty treat. Serve it with a touch of low-fat cream cheese and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup undrained, crushed pineapple
- 1/4 cup mashed, ripe bananas
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup chopped walnut meats
1. Pour boiling water over dates. Stir in soda. Set aside and cool.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine egg, sugars, shortening, vanilla and salt. Add date mixture, stirring until well mixed. Stir in remaining ingredients until combined. Spread in 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray and paper-lined.
3. Bake at 350° F about 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
Yield: 1 loaf, 16 slices