Bran Date Bread
This novel round loaf has a moist texture and a subtle, sweet taste. Serve it for breakfast, sliced into 2-inch- thick rounds, topped with crushed sweetened strawberries and a dollop of whipped cream.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hour 20 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
1. Coat 1-pound coffee can with cooking spray and place foil collar on can.*
2. Stir together flour, KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, sugar, baking powder, soda
and salt. Set aside.
3. In large mixing bowl, beat egg, margarine and milk. Add flour mixture, stirring
only until combined. Stir in dates. Spoon into prepared coffee can.
4. Bake at 350° F about 1 hour or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out
clean. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from can and cool on wire rack. Cool completely.
*To make collar: fold strip of foil, long enough to go around coffee can with generous
overlap, into four thicknesses. 3 inches wide. Attach to coffee can with sealing tape,
having foil extend 2 inches above top of can. Remove foil when ready to remove
bread from can.