Bran Cauliflower Escallop
Yum! Use fresh or frozen cauliflower for this rich, creamy gratin, which is finished with a garlicky, buttery, crunchy All-Bran® cereal topping. It's a perfect side dish for roast chicken and a delicious way to get a whopping 70% of your daily recommended intake of vitamin C!
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 1/2 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal Buy Now
- 4 cups sliced cauliflower (1 medium-size head)
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 tablespoons chopped pimiento
- 1 cup sliced green onions
1. Combine the 2 tablespoons margarine, garlic salt and KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal. Set aside for topping.
2. Cook cauliflower in small amount of water until almost tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well. Set aside.
3. Dissolve bouillon cube in 3/4 cup hot water. Set aside.
4. In 3-quart saucepan, melt the 1/4 cup margarine over low heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper. Add bouillon and half-and-half, stirring until smooth. Increase heat to medium and cook until mixture boils, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Stir in pimiento, green onions and cauliflower. Spoon mixture into 10 x 6 x 2-inch (1 1/2-quart) glass baking dish. Sprinkle cereal mixture evenly over top.
5. Bake at 350° F about 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated and bubbly. Serve hot.
2 packages (10 oz. each) frozen cauliflower, cooked and drained, may be substituted
for fresh cauliflower.