Bran Applesauce Cupcakes
Cupcakes aren't just kid stuff! And these little gems are here to prove it. These sweet, spicy confections, topped with lovely lemon frosting, are blended with a full cup of All-Bran® cereal – for a healthy boost that makes every snack break feel like your birthday.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 box (1 pound) powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
1. In medium mixing bowl, combine applesauce, milk and KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal. Set aside.
2. In large bowl, beat together margarine, sugar, cinnamon, all-spice and cloves. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
3. Stir together flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Add alternately with cereal mixture to margarine mixture, beating well after each addition. Spoon into 2 1/2-inch muffin-pan cups coated with cooking spary or lined with paper cups. Fill half full.
4. Bake at 350° F oven 20 minutes or until wooded pick inserted in cupcake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes,remove from pan and cool completely. Frost with Lemon Frosting.
Yield: 3 dozen (36) cupcakes
5. To prepare Lemon Frosting, combine frosting ingredients, mixing until smooth. Frost cooled cupcakes. If desired, garnish with nut pieces.