For maximum flavor in these crispy-crusted bars, choose fresh, local blueberries that are at their peak ripeness.
Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup 100% grape juice or apple juice
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
1. In small bowl stir together cereal and flour. Add butter. Toss until combined.
2. Press cereal mixture onto bottom of 11 x 7 x 1 1/2-inch baking pan. Bake at 350°F for 6 to 9 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely in pan on wire rack.
3. Meanwhile, grate 1/2 teaspoon peel from lemon. Squeeze 1 tablespoon juice from lemon. Set aside.
4. In medium saucepan stir together lemon peel, cornstarch, sugar and salt. Gradually whisk in grape or apple juice and water. Stir in 1 cup of the blueberries.
5. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and boils. Remove from heat. Stir in lemon juice. Let stand for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Stir the remaining 2 1/2 cups blueberries into thickened mixture. Carefully spread over crust. Sprinkle with walnuts. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour or until set. Cut into eight bars. Store in refrigerator.