Apple Raisin Squash
This delicious apple squash side dish recipe is sure to become a family favorite at all of your holiday gatherings. Tangy apples, sweet raisins, and the subtle accent of All-Bran® cereal make this dish as flavorful as it is pretty.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter
- 5 cups dry, whole wheat bread cubes
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3/4 cup chopped, unpeeled, red cooking apple
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth or water
- 8 thin apple slices
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
1. Wash squash, cut off ends and cut each squash in half crosswise. Remove seeds and loose fibers. Place cut side down, in shallow baking pan.
2. Bake at 350°F about 45 minutes or until squash is starting to soften. Meanwhile, in medium fry pan, saute' celery and onions in margarine.
3. In large mixing bowl, combine bread cubes, KELLOGG'S ALL-BRAN cereal, salt and poultry seasoning. Add celery mixture, chopped apples and raisins, tossing gently. Stir in broth, mixing until evenly combined.
4. Cut each hot squash into 4 rings about 1 1/4-inches thick. Place back into shallow baking pan, in single layer. Fill each ring with about 1/2 cup stuffing. Cover pan with foil.
5. Bake at 350°F about 35 minutes or until squash is tender. Garnish stuffed squash with apple slices and sugar. Broil 3 minutes or until sugar bubbles or browns.