Almond Tea Ring
This yeast-bread tea ring is great for your book club or a coffee break with office friends. The pretty cake is topped with slivered almonds for a healthy crunch and festive look. Serve with coffee or tea for a simple pick-me-up you'll want to make again and again.
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 4 hour 40 minutes
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° F to 115° F)
- 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- or 1 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Bran Buds® cereal Buy Now
- 3/4 cup milk, scalded
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, well-beaten
- 1 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
1. Combine yeast and warm water. Let stand 5 minutes or until softened.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine
1/2 cup sugar and salt. Stir until shortening is melted. Cool to lukewarm. Stir in
enough flour, about 2 cups, to make thick batter. Add softened yeast, eggs and
flavoring. Mix well. Add remaining flour. Mix thoroughly.
3. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Knead about 10 minutes or until
smooth and elastic. Place in large mixing bowl coated with cooking spray.
Spray surface of dough with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in warm place
(80-85°F) until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
4. Punch down dough. Divide into 2 equal portions. Roll each portion into rectangle
about 22-inches long and about 1/4-inch thick. Spread each portion with half the
margarine. Sprinkle with half the sugar and half the almonds. Roll rectangle tightly
and bring ends together to form ring, moistening each end before pressing together.
Place on greased baking sheet. Repeat with second portion of dough.
5. Cut dough diagonally with scissors from outside edge toward center, at 1-inch
intervals. Do not cut all the way through. Turn each section slightly so cut edge is up.
Cover lightly and let rise in warm place (80-85°F) until double in bulk, about 1 hour.
6. Bake at 350°F about 20 minutes or until golden brown and done. While still warm,
brush with powdered sugar icing and sprinkle with additional sliced almonds, if
To make powdered sugar icing, combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 4 tablespoons
warm water. Stir until smooth.